Cannot connect to term store

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM

What permissions are required to connect to the Term Store using this application?

I am running the application under a user account that is a farm admin and term store admin.  I cannot seem to pull the term store groups or the Managed Store information.

Coordinator
Mar 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM

make sure you have permissions set correctly:

http://termsetimporter.codeplex.com/releases/84785/download/358220

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Hi,

i can't get the term store too. The permissions are set like in the pdf.

When I click "Get Stores" it seems like the application is working for a few seconds. When it is ready, the mid screen is still blan without any stores.

Do you got an idea what this could be?

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I am also facing this issue.

I am the system admin, with permissions on the term store and the group.

When I try to get the stores I don't get anything on the window app.

I think this is an application issue.

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I sure hope not, otherwise 7278 downloaders wouldnt get anywhere.

Sharepoint is complex system, i am sure there is something with permissions here.

-p

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I'm facing the same problem, except when I run the program from Visual Studio, it works flawlessly.  Any idea what could be the distinction between running from Visual Studio and running from Windows?  I'm running the .exe as administrator but still no go.  I checked Task Manager for both cases and both processes are running as the same account.  Not sure what could be wrong here.....

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:50 PM

So I expereinced the same issue. I opend the project in VS and still could not connect. I then discovered that I indeed did not have permissions and it worked in VS. Then tried the downloaded exe, not the one I compiled from VS and it did not work. I then grabbed my compiled exe from the bin folder in VS and that one worked. I think the downloadable exe may have an issue. I hope this helps someone else.

Buy the way Awesome tool and thanks for you time in writing it and making it availible to the rest of us.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Edited Aug 20, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I'm having the same issue. I ran the tool as the farm admin account.

UPDATE: I downloaded the Jan 28 2011 version which is able to retrieve the Term Store and works perfectly. Therefore this is probably not a permission issue. I'd suspect that SharePoint a hotfix broke the functionality of the tool. I am using SharePoint Server Enterprise 2010 SP1 (14.0.6029.1000).

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:26 PM
levidos wrote:

I'm having the same issue. I ran the tool as the farm admin account.

UPDATE: I downloaded the Jan 28 2011 version which is able to retrieve the Term Store and works perfectly. Therefore this is probably not a permission issue. I'd suspect that SharePoint a hotfix broke the functionality of the tool. I am using SharePoint Server Enterprise 2010 SP1 (14.0.6029.1000).

Hi all, just wanted to verify that I too had the same issue with the latest version. I have a 3-tier farm with a mix of claims and windows authentication. No matter what I did the latest version would not find the term stores. I have 2, the default and one that I created for internal use. I tried on both the web frontend and also the application server.

I then downloaded the previous Jan 28 2011 version and it works flawlessly. I agree, a hotfix might have broken functionality in the tool. I am running the same version sp ent farm 14.0.6029.1000.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Not to pile on, but I had the same issue, and the Jan 2011 version worked like a champ.  Great tool.  Might want to take a look at the current version, though.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Hmm, i just ran current version and Jan 2011 version and only Jan 2011 version works. I have a RTM box. I will look into it.

Which is very weird, when i released latest version i tested it to make sure it works. Maybe something wrong with the exe indeed.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM
dotsad wrote:

Hmm, i just ran current version and Jan 2011 version and only Jan 2011 version works. I have a RTM box. I will look into it.

Which is very weird, when i released latest version i tested it to make sure it works. Maybe something wrong with the exe indeed.

Thanks.

I just uploaded same exe but newly build from VS, this one works on both of my SP environments as the previous download didn't.

Thanks.

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM
dotsad wrote:
dotsad wrote:

Thanks.

I just uploaded same exe but newly build from VS, this one works on both of my SP environments as the previous download didn't.

Thanks.

Having an issue that it cannot see all the Term Stores.  I have a term store setup for the web application itself but the only termstore it sees on "Get Stores" is the main connection to the MMS on the enterprise farm.  How can I get it to see the local TermStore to export those sets?

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I am not sure if this helps. 

I am trying to export some terms for a client who is running SP1 only.  I wasn't able connect the term store or export remotely - all the security permssions and running the bulk exporter as administrator.   I then rdp to the server, downloaded the exporter then ran the exporter as administrator.  Life is good as I was dreading having to manually add each term.

Daniel